Military Hands Over Footage of Surgical Strikes to Govt

army-commandosNew Delhi: Army officials confirmed that the video footage of last week’s surgical strikes on terror launch pads across the Line on Control (LoC) has already been submitted to the central government. The footage was filmed in part by drones and head cameras, said the Army sources.

Now, the decision whether to release the video footage or not rests with the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

On Wednesday morning, a meeting of the Cabinet Committee with Home Minister, Defence Minister and Foreign Minsters on Security chaired by the Prime Minister was held. The decision is to come out soon regarding the release of footage.

However, Pakistan condemned the surgical strikes conducted by India across LoC on September 29 and even the Pak media also termed it as a big farce. Due to the Pakistan’s propaganda, a major political row broke out in India with the BJP slamming Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Congress leaders who demanded the BJP-led Central Government to share the evidence of the surgical strikes to counter the propaganda. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has to give the nod for the release.

Meanwhile, Army officials and Intelligence experts are disapproving the idea of releasing the footage of surgical strikes. Former Army chief General Shankar Roychowdhury said India should “definitely not” put out anything on the strikes in the public domain as Pakistan’s army and intelligence are waiting to pounce on information about India’s operational techniques. The officials warned the government not to share the proof of strikes by calling the idea ‘disturbing’.